4226 Glen Avenue
Beautiful 1924 Craftsman Bungalow with Old Oakland Charm next to Urban Convenience – Walkscore of 93!
Step back in time into this secluded neighborhood of 1920s homes just off Piedmont Avenue by Glen Echo Creek. When this house was new, you would ride the Key Route from the SF Ferry to 41st and Piedmont Avenue, shopped at Piedmont Grocery (Founded 1898, still in business), walked past the Piedmont Theater (1917, still an art cinema) and turned off Piedmont just before Fenton’s Creamery (still making ice cream for kids since 1894). Drive through the shallow valley, or stroll the secret sidewalk along Glen Echo Creek.
On a cul de sac off a cul de sac sits this sweet raised bungalow. A delightful mix of old and new plantings in the side and front yard, and a cheerful stucco exterior welcome you home. The garage is under the house, a few steps take you up to the big covered porch. The light-filled foyer opens to the living room, dining room and bedroom hallway, there are polished hardwood patterned floors and high crown molding ceilings throughout the one-level living space.
The beautiful living room features a tile-faced fireplace flanked by roomy built-in bookshelves topped by the original Art Deco sconces. The dining room features the original built-in wood hutch and cabinet with glass doors and knobs. The big eat-in kitchen has been updated with a cooktop island, grey composite counters, freshly painted white cabinets and s/s appliances. Through the kitchen is a laundry room and the back door to a charming fenced yard with mature trees and cheerful flowers.
Off the hallway, the bathroom, two bedrooms and a plus room complete the layout. The front bedroom has a full wall closet. The bath has been remodeled in gray and white, has shower over tub, tile floors and vanity sink. The master bedroom features a skylight, two deep closets and a plus room with closet (probably the original nursery), spacious enough for a dressing area, home office or build it out as an ensuite second bath.
The garage has a workshop behind it and access to basement storage and utilities (useful if you build out the second bathroom). A side door opens to additional basement storage space.
This charming “Old Oakland” Bungalow comes with up-to-date urban convenience: two blocks to Fenton’s Creamery, Piedmont Theater, amazing grocery store (Piedmont Grocery), coffee, restaurants, dog parks, easy access to Hwys 24 and 580, AC Transit bus service, MacArthur BART, Oakland and Piedmont city parks and greenspace, Piedmont, Broadway and 40th St dining and shopping.
- Built 1924 2B+/1b, 1591 sq ft.
- Limited traffic, private and quiet neighborhood, yet close to dining, shopping, entertainment, transportation and city parks.
- Substantial side/front/back yards, original mature flowering trees, wisteria, honeysuckle, fuchsia, augmented by recent plantings.
- Stucco exterior, garage under home, steps up to covered large front porch.
- Foyer opens to single-level living space: living room, dining room, hallway to bedrooms and bath. Refinished original hardwood floors and high ceilings throughout.
- Beautiful living room with tiled fireplace flanked by painted bookshelves and the original Art Deco sconces!
- Dining room has original wood finish built-in hutch/glass-fronted cabinet with old-style glass knobs and new chandelier.
- Big eat-in kitchen with freshly painted white cabinets, new gray composite counters, cook-top island, s/s appliances and sink.
- Laundry room back of kitchen with door to charming, private, fenced and landscaped back yard.
- Two bedrooms with big closets, hardwood floors, high ceilings, crown molding.
- Master bedroom has skylight and deep closets and a plus room (nursery, office, dressing, walk-in closet or build out a master bathroom—good access through basement to run plumbing and power).
- One bathroom refreshed with gray counters, tile, vanity sink, shower over tub.
- Garage with basement workshop, access to basement, utilities (helpful if you build out second bath), storage, access through side low door to more storage.
- Just off Piedmont Avenue shopping and restaurants: Fenton’s, Bar Cesar, Xyclo, Piedmont Cinema, Piedmont Grocery.
- Walk to Echo Creek mini-greenbelt, Linda Dog Park, Rose Garden, St Mary’s Cemetery, Oak Glen, Mosswood Parks.
- Close to Kaiser, Pill Hill, Broadway, 40th St, Telegraph Ave, Temescal.
- Convenient to Hwys 24 & 580, MacArthur BART, AC Transit bus lines.
Piedmont Avenue is a lively shopping district destination in Oakland. Stores on Piedmont Avenue range from the trendy to the traditional. Cafes, restaurants with sidewalk dining, and boutiques. Neighborhood stalwart Fentons Creamery & Restaurant has been doing business on Piedmont Avenue for more than 50 years, offering its famous ice cream, burgers, and other savory treats . Bay Area eatery institutions The Wolf, Lo Coco's, Little Shin Shin call Piedmont Avenue home, as does Dopo, Addesso, and Michelin-starred Commis. The Piedmont Theatre, the oldest movie house operating in Oakland, offers first-run and independent films.
Piedmont Ave Halloween Parade & Pumpkin Patch Event
More Hallowen Info
Sunday 10/13, 1-5 - Stop by for a latte!
Thursday 10/10, Monday 10/14 & Thursday 10/17, 10-1:30
Offers to be reviewed:
Thursday 10/24, 10am
Disclosures & Additional Showings:
Contact Jennie A. Flanigan